The York County Solid Waste Authority offers tours of York County’s Sanitary Landfill which was closed in 1997. Since the tour’s inception in June 2015, over 1500 participants from York County school and civic groups have visited HARC to learn how this location was transformed from a landfill to a beautiful community park and wildlife habitat. On their journey, participants also learn about the environmental benefits of alternative energy, while viewing the two acre solar panel array that was installed on the property in 2014. In addition, the site’s walking trails offer a unique opportunity to view the birds, insects and plants
that occupy a grassland habitat. HARC has one of the largest contiguous grassland habitats in southcentral PA, second only to the Gettysburg National Military Park. As a wrap-up of the walking tour, we treat HARC tour participants to our Edible Landfill Program under the shade of the HARC pavilion. A delicious finale, and almost guilt-free after the many calories we burn on our one and a quarter mile walk!
When scheduling a HARC Tour, please keep in mind:
- There is no public water available at the HARC location, so please bring water for your group.
- The minimum age to take the HARC Tour is 5.
- The HARC Tour is available for a maximum of 60 participants.
- The walking tour at HARC lasts about an hour and fifteen minutes. A 45 minute optional Edible Landfill program can be added to make the experience approximately two hours in total.
- Because the Tour is held outside with little or no cover, weather must be considered when scheduling and attending the HARC tour. We will only be scheduling HARC tours between March 20, 2018 and November 22, 2018. We also may have to cancel or reschedule tours 24 hours ahead of time if severe weather is forecasted.
- The HARC location has a pavillion where picnics can be enjoyed. If you would like to use the pavilion area to have lunch after your tour, please let staff know when you schedule so we can reserve the area for you.
If you would like to schedule a HARC Tour, please call 717-845-1066 or contact us here a minimum of two weeks in advance.