Here’s Where York County Residents Can Recycle Electronics:
The York County Solid Waste Authority’s Residential Electronics Recycling Program is free and open to York County residents ONLY and is conducted Monday through Friday from 8:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. and Saturdays from 8 a.m. to noon at the Small Load Drop-off Facility at the York County Resource Recovery Center.
- Computer – Devices PC’s/Laptops/Servers
- Monitors – CRT, LCDs
- Televisions – CRT, Flat Panel (LCD, Plasma, LED), Console, Projection
- Networking Devices – Servers, Routers, Switches, Hubs, Arrays
- Printing Devices – Printers, Fax Machines, Scanners, Copiers, Duplicators, Plotters, Typewriters
- Audio/Video Devices – CD/DVD/VHS/Blue-Ray Players, MP3 Players, iPods, Projectors, Stereos, Video Game Consoles
- Receivers – (audio, cable, satellite), Recorders, Converter Boxes, Amplifiers, Equalizers.
- Communication Devices – Cell Phones, PDA’s, Telephones, Pagers, Answering Machines
- Lab/Test & Measurement Devices –
- Telecommunication Devices
- Power Supplies – UPS’s (Uninterrupted Power Supplies), Surge Protectors
- Peripherals – All items used in the function of these devices (Ie. keyboards, mice, speakers, pointing devices, etc)
- Wire/Cabling – All cables, wires and power cords used in the function of these devices
- Hardware – All parts that are, or once were, part of these devices (Ie. circuit boards, hard drives, RAM, processors, power supplies, optical/floppy drives, etc)
- Any fossil fuel or materials used in collecting fossil fuels.
- Any infectious or biological wastes or equipment that contained them.
- Any media contaminated with oil.
- Any liquid.
- Any chemicals, oils, or powders.
- Any equipment that contains chemicals of any kind.
- Any equipment that contains asbestos.
- Any equipment that contains radioactive components (i.e. smoke detectors)
- Any equipment that contains Freon.
- Any materials that would adversely impact our operations or result in environmental or health problems.
Penn and Fairview Townships also conduct electronics recycling collection programs that accept electronics from all York County residents and offer weekday and Saturday collection hours. Please call, or visit their web sites for times and locations:
Penn Township: www.penntwp.com, 717-637-1561
Fairview Township: twp.fairview.pa.us, 717-901-5200
Best Buy in East York also accepts some covered devices for recycling. PLEASE NOTE: Best Buy in East York does not accept TV’s for drop-off at their location on Concord Road. There is a haul away option for residents for a fee. Please call the store or visit www.bestbuy.com for more info.
NOTE: Pa law now bans the disposal or collection of certain electronics at the curb in your regular garbage. Electronics that cannot be placed in your garbage include TV’s, computers and anything that connects to a computer such as a printer, mouse, keyboard or speakers.
How York County Businesses Can Recycle Electronics:
York County organizations, schools and businesses that wish to recycle electronic devices may contact electronics recycling vendors directly. A list of Nationwide Commercial Electronics Recycling (non-residential services) serving businesses is located below.
- Republic Services: http://www.republicservices.com/businesses/electronics-recycling
- Sims Recycling: http://www.simsrecycling.com/Services/Responsible-Recycling
- Electronic Recyclers International: http://electronicrecyclers.com/services
- JVS Environmental: http://www.jvsenvironmental.net/
- Cinco Electronics Recycling: http://www.cincoer.com/corporateservices.html
- KVS Computers: http://www.kvscomputers.com/
- Regency Technologies: http://www.regencytechnologies.com/it_management/asset_management_services.asp
- Kuusakoski Recycling: http://kuusakoski.us/recycling-services/
- Advanced Technology Recycling: http://www.atrecycle.com/business-portal/e-scrap/
- AER Worldwide: http://www.aerworldwide.com/index.php/electronics-recycling/
- Anything IT: http://www.anythingit.com/
- Apto Solutions: http://www.aptosolutions.com/services/recycling
- Newtech Recycling Inc.: http://www.newtechrecycling.com/
- Waste Management, Inc.: https://www.wm.com/store/catalog/business/recycle-by-mail-for-business/electronics-recycling-kit
- Hewlett-Packard: http://h30248.www3.hp.com/recycle/hardware/
If all you want is to dispose of your unwanted equipment — regardless of brand — Apple can help you do that. Apple contracts with Sims Recycling Solutions to responsibly recycle computers and displays from any manufacturer. Just call 800-966-4135 to receive a free prepaid shipping label. Then pack up your equipment using your own box and send it off. For more information about Sims Recycling Solutions, visit oem.srsapp.com/ApplePoweredBysims/.