Generic selectors
Exact matches only
Search in title
Search in content
Post Type Selectors

What are the options to manage HHW in York County?

  1. Use care when purchasing products. The best method of managing HHW is to prevent its generation in the first place.  Select the least toxic item to “do the job” and buy only the necessary amount.
  2. Donate unused products. If the product is still usable (not expired or damaged), contact local community groups to see if you can donate it.
  3. Bring material the York County Solid Waste Authority’s (YCSWA) Free Annual HHW Collection Event. YCSWA conducts a yearly HHW Collection Event which is typically held on the first Saturday of May from 9:00 AM to 1:00 PM. There is no fee for York County residents. Businesses and government entities are not eligible to participate. The Authority provides this service as part of our integrated waste management system and through a grant from the Pennsylvania Department of Environmental Protection. After collection, HHW is transported to hazardous waste facilities that safely manage, and whenever possible, recycle the materials collected. Click here for 2022 HHW Collection Event information.
  4. With the exception of mercury switches, thermometers and thermostats which are not accepted at the York County Resource Recovery Center (YCRRC), you may bring HHW to the YCRRC for disposal along with other household waste (click here for YCRRC tipping fee information). The YCRRC has a liquids hopper for safer management of HHW liquids. Please note there is a one gallon limit per visit for fuel (gasoline, diesel, kerosene) disposal and a 5 bulb/tube limit per visit for fluorescent bulbs/tubes. 
  5. If you are considering disposing of HHW in your regular trash, we strongly urge you to first contact your garbage hauler to find out what materials they will accept at the curb.  The Pennsylvania Department of Environmental Protection offers these recommendations when disposing of HHW in the trash:

– When disposing of rechargeable batteries, cover the electrical contacts or battery ends with a non-conductive tape (electrical or vinyl tape) or seal individual batteries in separate clear plastic bags so they cannot conduct electricity.  This helps reduce the risk of potential fires or explosions.

– Absorb HHW liquids using material such as cat litter, sawdust or vermiculite and securely package the remaining residue to prevent leakage.  Dispose of the material in small quantities over several trash collection periods.