What are the options for managing yard waste in York County?
- Use a mulching mower to mulch grass clippings and leaves into your lawn. It’s much easier on the back than raking and can help prevent weeds from germinating in your lawn.
- Place grass clippings and leaves in garden beds or around trees and shrubs to prevent weeds.
- Add grass clippings and leaves to backyard compost. An internet search of “composting” will provide instructions for different composting methods and what materials are compostable.
- If your municipality offers curbside or drop-off yard waste recycling, participate in their program. Contact your municipality directly to find out what materials are accepted and when their program is conducted.
- Deliver tree trimmings and stumps to a local mulch processor. Click here for a list of local mulch processors.
- Deliver yard waste to the York County Solid Waste Authority’s Yard Waste Facility within the York County Resource Recovery Center (YCRRC) complex. Click here for rates, hours, and directions.
Yard waste items accepted at the YCRRC Yard Waste Facility are:
- Tree trimmings that do not exceed 6 feet in length or 24 inches in diameter
- Tree stumps that do not exceed 24 inches in diameter
- Root balls that do not exceed 12 inches in diameter and have soil removed from them
Yard waste items NOT accepted at the YCRRC Yard Waste Facility are:
- Grass clippings
- Tree trimmings that exceed 6 feet in length or 24 inches in diameter
- Tree stumps that exceed 24 inches in diameter
- Root balls that exceed 12 inches in diameter
- Loads of yard waste that are mixed with other wastes cannot be processed at the Yard Waste Facility and will be diverted to the YCRRC waste bunker.
- As a last resort, place grass clippings in your regular trash or bring them to the YCRRC. Weeds should also be disposed of in your regular trash.
How Can Large Stumps and Tree Trimmings and Root Balls Be Managed?
H&H Excavating, Spring Valley Mulch and Eshbach Mulch accept tree trimmings that exceed 6 feet in length and/or 24 inches in diameter and stumps larger than 24 inches in diameter. H&H and Eshbach also accept root balls larger than 12 inches in diameter with soil removed. Please click here for contact information for these York County businesses.