What Are Assured Destruction Materials?
Assured destruction materials are anything that requires special handling due to the sensitivity, value, or volume of material, or any other specific needs. Examples include outdated invoices; canceled bank checks; legal, medical, office, and school records; criminal evidence; work product, and literary and intellectual property.
How Can You Dispose of Assured Destruction Materials in York County?
- Call 717-845-1066. A York County Solid Waste Authority representative will discuss the material’s characteristics with you to determine if it is processible at the York County Resource Recovery Center (YCRRC).
- If the materials can be handled at the YCRRC, the representative will review each of the four available management methods with you to determine which is appropriate for your assured destruction material.
- The Authority will schedule a date and time for the assured destruction of your materials.
Assured Destruction Methods
The YCRRC offers four assured destruction methods. Regardless of the method used, all materials must be:
- Packaged in an acceptable manner.
- Scheduled in advance with an Authority representative.
- Accompanied by the generator, who is responsible for supplying all labor and security personnel, if needed. The Assured Destruction Manifest will be provided for the generator’s records.
METHOD 1 ($135/ton)
Materials are placed on the tipping floor by the generator or generator’s hauler and pushed into the waste storage pit by YCRRC equipment. The materials are mixed with other waste in the storage pit, placed into a combustion feed chute, and processed for energy production.
METHOD 2 ($175/ton)
Materials are placed on the tipping floor by the generator or generator’s hauler and pushed into the waste storage pit by YCRRC equipment. The generator can witness the materials being picked up by the waste storage pit crane and placed into a combustion feed chute to be processed for energy production. The crane is able to pick up most of the assured destruction materials, but due to the nature of the machinery, some of the materials may be left in the waste storage pit to be mixed with other wastes and processed at a later time.
METHOD 3 ($250/ton)
Materials are placed directly into a combustion feed chute by the generator or generator’s hauler to be processed for energy production. The materials are never placed into the storage pit with other wastes. This method can only be used for relatively small quantities of material (equivalent to 40 copy paper boxes or less).
METHOD 4 ($350/ton)
Materials are placed in the area next to the waste storage pit, picked up by the crane, and placed directly into a combustion feed chute to be processed for energy production. The materials are never placed into the storage pit with other wastes. This method requires the assured destruction material to be palletized.
Insurance Requirements for Assured Destruction of Materials
When a generator uses a vehicle or hires a hauler to bring materials to the YCRRC, the vehicle owner or hauler must provide proof of comprehensive general liability insurance, commercial automobile insurance, and worker’s compensation insurance. Call (717) 845-1066 with any insurance requirement questions.
Safety Requirements for Assured Destruction of Materials
When visiting the YCRRC, the generator is required to follow all safety rules. The following attire and personal protective equipment (PPE) is required:
- Closed-toe footwear
- Hard hat
- Safety glasses
- Safety vest
- Hearing protection (for method 3 only)
- Long pants (for method 3 only)
If you do not have the proper PPE, the Authority will lend it to you during your visit. All borrowed PPE must be returned to the Authority.