Walking Trails, Ball Fields, Wildlife Habitat & More
In 2006, YCSWA transformed approximately 200 acres of the closed York County Sanitary Landfill site into the Hopewell Area Recreation Complex (HARC). HARC features multi-use fields, walking trails, a wildlife habitat area, playgrounds, a picnic pavilion, and two bird/wildlife viewing platforms. More than 122 species of birds have been documented at the site.
HARC is available for use by all York County residents. To reserve sports fields, please call Hopewell Township at 717-993-2027.
HARC Rules & Regulations
The following rules are enforced by the Pennsylvania State Police and Hopewell Township Officials, and the facility is patrolled by private security services after hours:
- Hours are dawn to dusk.
- All pets must be leashed, and owners must clean up after pets.
- Stay on marked trails and walking paths.
- No smoking in any area of the complex.
- No open flames, except in designated areas.
- No littering.
- No alcoholic beverages.
- No firearms.
- No ATVs.
- No horses, motorized vehicles, or bicycles on trails or fields.
- HARC is a no-fly zone. Kites, drones, and radio-controlled planes or other airborne devices are prohibited.
- No destruction or defacing of property. Such acts will result in prosecution.
Directions to HARC
- Take I-83 to Exit 4.
- Turn west onto Route 851 and proceed approximately 3/10 of a mile to the first road on your right, Mount Airy Road.
- Turn right onto Mount Airy Road and proceed approximately 1 3/4 miles to the stop sign.
- Turn right onto Plank Road and proceed approximately 2 1/2 miles to the York County Sanitary Landfill.
- Continue approximately 1/4 mile past the landfill gate entrance, and make a left onto Althouse School Road. A parking area, information kiosks, and access to the bird/wildlife platforms and walking trails will be on your right. To access the playing fields, picnic pavilion, and playgrounds, continue a short distance and make a left into the gravel parking lot.